Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Count on you

My dad is always on time. Always. I would be willing to bet he has never once in his adult life been late to anything. Ever. Growing up I learned that this is a matter of respect and dependability. If you say you will do something, you do it. If you say you will be somewhere you show up early. I've taken this lesson with me in so many different aspects. Of course, I took it with me in my professional life and I took it with me in my social life. But it wasn't until recently that I realized I took it with me when it came to training.
I'm no better than you. I have days when I don't feel like running, swimming, cycling, teaching or even just waking up. Hey, it happens! I'm human. But if I say I am going to train, then I do. Because I need to be able to count on ME. I know now that if I say I will go swimming, I will. I will show up to that pool and do what I said I would do.
At work, people count on you to be there and do your job well, so you do. At life, people expect you to keep your plans and show up to events that have been scheduled, so you do. When your hubby asks you to please pick up something for dinner, you do. Why? Because you said you would. So, why don't you start counting on yourself a little more to do what you promised yourself you would do? You don't make excuses to your place of work, your friends or your family. But you make excuses for yourself. Stop it.
Sure, I have a coach(thanks, Jeff!) who looks after me and helps train me. But, at the end of the day, I am the only person I answer to in regards to my training. I won't disappoint anyone but myself. At the end of the day, I need to know that I was dependable and respectful, not just to others...but to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment