Sunday, January 8, 2012

Are you crazy?

I do get this question on a regular basis..."Are you crazy? Why would you subject yourself to this?" Maybe I am crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. And what I might view as crazy could be normal for another. Take natural child birth. To me, that is crazy. Or a night of drinking followed by a massive hangover. Crazy. Extreme couponing. Crazy. So, while these things might be normal to some, they are crazy to others. It's all in the perspective. To me, triathlon has become a way of life. I choose to live my life this way because I get something really great out of it. I choose to train almost every day. I choose to spend money and time on getting better and growing in the sport. I chose to eat well(mostly) because I know it is fuel for my body. And, then, when I show up at a race and do well I am so proud that I have chosen this lifestyle. I don't feel like I miss out on anything because of triathlons. If anything, I feel like my life is much more full than it used to be. I have a sense of purpose and I have goals that I strive to reach on a daily basis. I am able to teach others how to do triathlons and support them on their journey. I am able to look in the mirror and know that each day I am closer and closer to accomplishing the things I set out to do. I can progress and see how far I've come in this sport. So, is that crazy? I guess you can decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment