Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Food for thought

Food is a hot topic for me. I don't believe in diets and I never will. A diet will work temporarily, but if you can't do it for the rest of your life, don't do it! I don't diet and I don't deprive myself. I FUEL my body. People should think of calories as fuel rather than some number with no meaning. Here's the deal...I know if I eat crappy food(think fast food, lots of sugar and empty calories) then my body will perform accordingly. I am not saying this because I think it's true. I know it's true. I have attempted to fuel with cookies(no joke) before a training ride. I performed awfully. I have fueled with many different things to see what my body responds to. The verdict is in...it responds to lean protein, fruits and veggies and good old carbohydrates. If I drink alcohol, I know the next day will be a struggle for me. I have learned that it is better for me to eat clean than to try and struggle through training. Have you ever had to swim, bike or run for hours and you felt lethargic, achey and grumpy? Yeah, it is no fun.
I have been asked, "Do you ever eat sweets?" Ha!!  Of course I do! But I try to eat one or two, not an entire box, batch or bag. I'm not going to say no to a home baked cookie, my friend, but the key is to then adjust accordingly. You have a huge lunch, then eat a small dinner. You have a few extra cookies at work, then come home and don't have another dessert. Don't deprive yourself, but don't over-indulge every day. Simple.
One thing that gets me is high protein, no carbs diets. What is your bodies main fuel source? I can tell you right now it doesn't go, "Moooo!" And your body isn't made to digest a ton of protein. On average, your body digests about 10 grams of protein at a time. If you eat too much protein your body will store the extra as fat. On top of that, too many calories is too many calories be it protein or carbs. I encourage people to balance it out. What would a car do with no fuel? Your body needs protein, carbs and, fats(healthy). Play with it as you like, but make sure you are getting about 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fats.
Food is fun and it is one of the things that brings me great joy. It is possible to eat well and enjoy your food. It is up to you to decide what makes you happy when it comes to food. If you hate eggplant, then don't eat it. If turkey isn't your thing, then skip turkey. Don't force yourself to eat things just because someone said they were good for you. Do your research! There are so many options out there, that eventually you will find things you enjoy that are also good for you. You will be amazed at how your body appreciates it!

No comments:

Post a Comment