Sunday, December 29, 2013

The truth about friends...

I try to set an intention for every workout.  Training for Ironman, my intention was very goal-oriented and focused.  After Ironman, my intentions have become very different.  Lately my intentions have ranged from my future, my marriage and my family and friends.  Today, I was thinking a lot about friendships.


As Easton and I headed out to "tear up some trails" something just clicked.  Some of my best friends have four legs!  It's been like this since I was old enough to know the meaning of the word "friend."  I thought about a few of my favorites and why they hold such a special place in my heart.  Hey, I'm not opposed to a two-legged friend, but I think the furry, four-legged kind are the ones we can learn the most from.

There was Roxy, the Yellow Labrador.  I had just learned to drive and she was my partner in crime.  She would hop in to my little red BMW, and we would drive with the windows down to the dog beach.  She would jump right in to the water and swim and swim.  She always looked so happy.  I didn't need to do much for her...just drive her to the beach.  She had that boxy Labrador head and when she passed away, I thought my heart would never mend. 

Gabilan was my first baby.  I hear people all the time say I don't know what true love is since I don't have a human child, but I agree to disagree.  I saw Gabilan the Thoroughbred drop to the ground and I was in love.  My heart was so full it could have burst.  We did it all.  I raised him from morning to night, introducing him to the world as he would know it.  I saw him grow from a tiny foal to handsome young man.  It was a once in a lifetime experience.  Gabilan will always be my "first born" even if I do one day have a human baby. 

Baile was my "special horse."  She was a Selle Francais Warmblood and she was hot, and nervous and the most beautiful horse ever.  She taught me how to really ride.  She taught me patience and love.  She was the last thing I had of my grandfather and I held on to her until she couldn't hold on anymore.  Baile was the sweetest horse you could have met, but the world frightened her.  She looked to me for guidance and because of her, I learned to be a leader.  I learned what it is to lead without aggression or dominance, but with patience, kindness and love.

Fina, the Yorkshire Terrier, came to me from very cruel beginnings in a puppy mill.  The lady had said she had a bad grooming experience, but really she had Ringworm, fleas and was emaciated.  She was knocking on death's door when I picked her up from the airport.  I nursed her back to health and she has been my healthiest, hardiest friend to date.  Fina is all of 4 pounds, but I haven't known a dog with a bigger heart.  She has seen me through some of my hardest times.  There were days when I wanted to give up on the world, but I could never give up on Fina.  She is independent, strong and sweet.  She is quiet, but has recently found her voice with the new addition of Easton.  Fina is content to sleep all day and just relax.  She promotes it actually.  I have tried to take her on walks and she isn't having it.  Her paws might be ten years old, but they might as well be puppy paws.  And who I am to ruin that for her?  Fina always knows when you need her, and will curl up on your lap and just sit.  When Jeff's dad died years ago, Fina went to stay with him and cheer him up.  Fina does her job marvelously.

And then there is Tiffany.  I spent every day looking for a Ragdoll cat to rescue and they are not easy to come by.  Years passed.  Then one day at Target I found a small child, lost from her mother.  When I returned the crying child to her mother, I received no thanks, no appreciation.  Nothing.  But then, that night, I found Tiffany.  Her owner was an old lady who could no longer keep her because she was in a walker and Tiffany posed a health hazard.  But the lady was not in a hurry to find her a new home.  I drove for hours and when I saw her, I knew she would be a part of the family.  She is gorgeous, and the sweetest little Ragdoll.  Jeff had said he didn't like cats, and it's true.  He doesn't like Tiffany AT ALL.  He adores her!  They have a ritual.  Jeff comes home and Tiffany greets him at the door, meowing.  Jeff asks, "Tiffany, do you want me to shake you?"  She meows.  And then Jeff picks her up and she goes limp like a Ragdoll and just purrs and purrs.  Cats give feedback.  They will let you know if you are doing something well.  And Jeff is her number one, despite my best efforts.  She hates that I always smell like girly lotion.  So, Jeff is her guy, and I'm the smelly mom.

Easton was my dream dog before he ever actually existed.  Like I assume some people desire purses, or sports cars, or a big house...I wanted a German Shorthair Pointer.  I talked about them, obsessed about them and looked at pictures online for hours.  I finally did my research, found a great breeder, and saved up my money for the dog, the toys and gear and the training.  When I saw his little face online for the first time, I was 100% convinced he should be mine.  He had huge, dopey ears and a big head and perfect markings.  He had a spot by his tail that made it look like someone just popped his tail on in the perfect spot.  To me, he was perfect.  When I met him, I cried.  And so did he.  All the way home.  He gets very attached to his friends and leaving his littermates was hard for him.  But he grew up to be everything I wanted in a friend.  He will run with me any day, any time, any condition, with no complaints.  It's raining.  Let's run.  It's hot.  Let's run.  It's perfect.  Let's run.  He will always go at my pace, even if it is always slower than he prefers.  He will pull me up a hill if I need it, and will slow down and walk in front of me going down a hill so I don't fall.  He will bark if there is someone who looks threatening, and he will greet you if you are kind.  He drinks perfectly out of a water bottle, and I'm happy to share with him.  He runs with ease and never looks fatigued.  He is an inspiration to me.  He never looks bummed to be out running.  He always has his panting smile on, and his big floppy ears bounce up and down as he floats along.  I'm always happier when he comes along.  He is what a friend should be.  I will never receive a mean email from him, or a text saying he is upset over something petty.  He will always be there, waiting.  Ready to go on whatever adventure we want to get in to next.  Easton has really brought a different dynamic to our family.  And he has made me really appreciate what a friend can be.  He makes me smile every day.
 


Friends are a special part of life.  They make things that were just okay, seem so much better.  They fulfill us in ways we can't do on our own.  Friends help us when we are down, and when we are up, and all those shades of grey in between.  I feel so lucky that some of the role models I've had have been four-legged, because there is so much we can learn from their kindness, lack of judgment, and loyalty.  They ask for very little, but give so much.  I hope you all are so lucky to have friends like mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment