Friday, May 31, 2013

I want a freaking COOKIE!

There's a few things I won't do.  I will not go to bed with out washing my face.  I will not begin my day with out breakfast.  I will not go to bed with out praying/meditating.  I will not wash my car with out washing the wheels.  I will not show up to anything and half-ass it.  And I WILL NOT go with out dessert.  Nope.  Life's too short.  I wanna freaking cookie.


So, things got challenging when I decided to clean up my nutrition.  What the heck do you eat for dessert.  I bought extra fruit and tried to jazz it up by adding cinnamon.  No.  I'm sorry.  That is not dessert for this girl.  I tried to go with out.  And, you know what?  I got irritated.  It really bothered me that I was putting in all this hard work, just to deprive myself of dessert.  I'm sure for some people it's fine.  They don't care or they really think fruit is a dessert(don't lie to yourself, it's good, but it is not dessert).  I decided to get crafty.  I kept it my secret(Shanen is in on it), but I'm going to share.  I hope you enjoy as much as I do!  Feel free to mix it up and try different combos(as I have) and come up with your own.  I know that this is not fruit, and it does have "unnatural" sugar, and some flour.  But, in my opinion, it is much better than a ton of butter, sugar, dairy and crap.  And, most importantly....IT'S DELICIOUS!  And when I say delicious, I say that as a baker, not a nutritious triathlete.  So, trust me...

PUMPKIN OATMEAL DARK CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY COOKIES

3 cups oats(steel cut or old-fashioned, gluten free, but NOT quick oats)
1/2 cup flour(I use as little as possible and you can use a gluten free option)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup pumpkin(canned or fresh and pureed)
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 granulated sugar(I use less)
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp or less of cinnamon
1 dash of Allspice
1/2 bag of dark chocolate morsels(use more or less to your preference)
1 bag dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all your dry ingredients(oats, flour, baking powder and soda) and stir.  I put the bowl in the fridge while I mix everything else.

Mix pumpkin, sugars, eggs, vanilla.  Then add spices.  Incorporate dry ingredients slowly and then add cranberries and dark chocolate.

Divide mix by tablespoons on to a baking sheet(I line mine with parchment paper) and pop them in to the oven for about 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden.  I prefer mine soft, so I don't bake them as long.  Ovens vary.

ENJOY!!  These are delicious, and as far as a cookie goes, not too bad for you.  So, live it up...eat that freaking cookie!


No comments:

Post a Comment