Wednesday, March 7, 2012

When opportunity knocks...

They say when one door closes, another one opens.  But sometimes we look so long at that closed door, that we fail to see the other door.  And that door happens to be an opportunity.  When I hurt my foot I was so bummed out.  For a week I just wondered what I could possibly do to replace my running.  Running has always been my release, my positive outlet for anxiety and stress.  Basically, running was my happiness.  And then it was gone.  Just like that. 
So for a week I looked back and I mourned.  I stared at the closed door.  Maybe I was hoping it might somehow open if I stared long enough.  Or maybe I was just so shocked that it could be gone just like that.  But at the end of that week I knew I had to start looking elsewhere.  If a door is closed, that just means somewhere there is a door just waiting to be opened.  I showed up at the gym today at noon to begin boxing again.  Boxing is my new door.  It's not a replacement, it's an opportunity to excel at something else.  And...it felt so good to box again! 
I hope that in your life you choose to let a shut door be just that, shut.  Let it be seen as an opportunity.  Let it be the beginning of a new chapter, not the end of one.  Don't stare so long at that shut door that you miss out on the beginning of something wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment